Tried out Debian 5.0 aka "Lenny" today and it seems to be a really really smooth experience:
- Download the 180M ISO image
- Boot in VirtualBox and select graphical installer
- Everything works out of box
As I am an "IT Mill Toolkit guy", I could not resist to try Toolkit out on my shiny new Debian virtual machine. I must admit that I was blown away by the simplicity of the process - it was almost like a Mac :)
- Launch the browser
- Download Toolkit package (OOPHM)
- Extract the package in GUI
- Just type sh start.sh in the itmill-toolkit directory
- Demos start!
- Look mama - no Sun JRE installed!
Wanted to go a bit further - how about Eclipse?
- As a root: apt-get install eclipse
- Wait while some 300M of packages install and download
- Start eclipse from the menu!
WOW - this would have been easier than on Mac if the Eclipse would have started.
(If you wonder, this is a bug and it can be resolved by doing apt-get install xulrunner-dev as root.)